Wednesday, January 6, 2010

So Long Sinus Infections!


I had sinus surgery today. After years of chronic sinusitis and a severely deviated septum, I'm finally done with it, optimistic for the recovery and relief. For the moment, I'm high on Vicodin and packed with gauze but it only gets better from here. Sudsly is gone (we affectionally called him Allergen Heap, after one of our favorite female lyricists), the house is vacuumed with mighty HEPA-ness and I absolutely can't wait to get back what I started not to realize I was missing. . . a day without Excedrin. "Boo" for endoscopic surgery and a whole day at the facility and dull pain but "hooray" for everything else. According to the surgeon, two of my paranasal sinus cavities were righteously infected. You're telling me, doc.

What is astounding to me is how many people suffer with sinus problems. And I mean like lay in bed and beg for mercy suffer. Anything literally "in your head" is a horrible kind of pain. Once I told the world that I was going under, many folks expressed interest in the procedure, side effects, discomfort (one woman thought they broke your nose to do it) and overall process so they too could consider it. Folks, you have a sister in this. . . and hopefully a success story too!


7 comments:

  1. WTF??? Thanks for the advance notice, yo! Are you alright? Everything ok? Love you, and hope you will be feeling better.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Allergen Heap is HYSTERICAL. Reminds me of my friend Marcia coughing in Vegas next to a smoker and apologizing for her Emphysema Ball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know you had surgery? Hope everything is better for you. How do you make things as serious as surgery a bit humerous? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All will be well, rest assured. Thanks for the concern! And didn't you know everything is more fun when you're hopped up on painkillers? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little behind the times on this one. I know we spoke about your impending surgery, but I was not aware that you had it until a day or so ago. Me n' ma' sphenoid sinus can sympathize with you. Had that surgery years ago, and felt a huge difference after I had it. It's done wonders for me and I think I've had on actual sinus infection since I had the operation years ago. You'll be happy you did it! Love you and hope you are doing bettah my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support, sugar plum. I know you can feel me on this. Right now, the stents are still in and I'm not sleeping the greatest but I know it will pay off. . . gotta get through these things with some grace, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoa baby. gnarly stuff. best of luck on your recovery. glad i stumbled on this as i have decision to make regarding surgery vs a balloon sinuplasty procedure. trying to read up all i can.
    best,
    E

    ReplyDelete