Monday, January 18, 2010

RomCom Romp

I've renewed my interest in going to see movies in the theater; watching movies at all, actually. Obviously, time is required. Cash is required. Blah. It's magical being in the theater, in the dark, consumed by a screen you can't avoid or pause at your leisure. The responsibility lies with the cast of hundreds that made the story come to life to tie a rope around your emotion and tug, tug, tug until the credits roll. You're constantly engaged, introspective and at the best times, in stitches.

Romantic comedies are always a gamble though. It's hard to get romance right, plausible, palpable. . . the whole bit. I'm not adept at figuring out why I loved "It's Complicated" so much. Maybe because I was with the Great Momini (GM), or because it was a day off; because parking is still free at the theater or because the laundry was done. Is it because of that I relaxed and enjoyed it? Doesn't seem to give Nancy Meyers and the indomitable Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin much credit does it?

No, I enjoyed it for the story. God bless the story. It's why "Up" and "Avatar" won Golden Globes. It's the damn story, just like song lyrics, that makes me lose my breath laughing and clutch my chest for a mercy I hope never comes. It's delicious.

My takeaway from the film is the grace of life, even in it's most trying moments. It's easy to imagine someone, the heroine, being graceful when surrounded by a flawless house, money for renovations and an educated, gorgeous brethren of a family. But to be able to extract that nugget when I don't necessarily have those things is the true power of writing. Being human, being flawed and vulnerable, is so intoxicating to watch on screen. It's inspiring to see a woman do it and still soldier, even for someone who hasn't grieved at the loss of a partner. . . through divorce, death or otherwise.

Charming and true, "It's Complicated" is unexpectedly brilliant. A romantic comedy that truly is romantic, without being over the top fictitious. Love.


2 comments:

  1. I too enjoyed, but couldn't put finger on it.

    As a child of divorced parents, it had a bit of a different take for me, but never the less, Ms. Streep is a pleasure, and I'll hang with Mr. Baldwin anyday.

    Glad you're going to the movies again - it is my intention to do so as well, but currently, as you know, I have obstacles...

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete