Sunday, January 17, 2010

Going to the Chapel


Marriage was on my mind this week. Between Elizabeth Gilbert being on Oprah talking about her new book (I don't know about you, but I couldn't get through "Eat, Pray, Love" so "Committed" will remain far away from my purview), an article in Marie Claire about women needing to be less picky (hallelujah) when selecting mates and a candid conversation over margaritas with my husband I think there's a lot to talk about.

Humans are social beings. It's true. Even the most introverted among us feels better, happier if you will, with some other human energy nearby. And save a few cases (James Franco's love affair with Japanese Sex Pillows and objectum sexuals), we need to be near other humans to get to know intimacy and socialize our way to being attractive to a mate.

This will be the year of pregnancy for many of my friends, barring any complications as getting pregnant is far less elegant than naivete allowed me to believe in childhood. But I still have many single friends too. Marc and I wonder with frequency what the deal is with the women we love not finding love. I think Lori Gottlieb has a point that many women feel "entitled to the cultural ideal. Mr. Right should look a certain way, have a certain kind of job, have a sense of humor, be romantic in these ways and show it with certain gestures. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Why do we always focus on the latter?" Amen. No doubt. So hard to do in practice.

And I do think most of my friends who are not in relationships would prefer to be. Though even those who are married might consider themselves lonely, I'm also no fool to know it's different when you're unattached. Staying positive is challenging and continuing your own personal growth without paying much credence to "the quest" for Mr. Right is impossible sometimes.

But is it possible that marriage, in a traditional sense, might shift again? It really was a group effort if we look back far enough in history. One man, many wives. When women didn't have the rights we do now, to work as a surgeon (god forbid) or start a business, we needed men to have financial "freedom." And those damn 1950's ideals are stuck in our heads now too. Woman near stove or vacuum, anxiously waiting for briefcase to show up to eat pot roast. The truth is, we don't need them anymore, and sperm banks are proof.

So why is it such an ideal? Why do we want it? Again to quote Gottlieb, "We want this soul communion, an almost therapeutic relationship instead of a working partnership. And we think we're perfect because our friends sit around and tell us we are. We're one another's Yes Women. Which does nothing to help us suss out how we might be better partners."

Honesty in friendship is a certain truth. But honesty with yourself is paramount. It's one of the reasons I am such a huge fan of therapy because whether you've been avoiding confrontation or just ignorant to the need for growth, it's impossible to avoid. That challenge is what I'm so intent on for myself and all my gal pals. Head toward the work, not away from it, and evolve.

Because guess what? A whole person is one super sexy individual. And one who will be more open to those who also have work to do. After all, it doesn't get easier when you fall in love. . . though some would argue it's better.

7 comments:

  1. Well, not that I should spread this personal stuff on the internet - but what the hell. I will respond to this because I love you, and I want to add to the conversation.

    That said, I agree that some ladies are too picky - and I know there are some parts of my search for relationship that are quite particular. Really, for me, the dealbreaker must be that I find the person physically attractive. That DOES NOT mean they are a supermodel. Most of the guys that I fancy are thin as rails, and are dork hot - so I don't think I'm setting the bar too high for myself here since I'm not looking for a Clooney, or a Pitt, or a Jackman. (not that I'd turn down an offer from any of them were they single). I don't even have a heigh requirement, though it would be nice if they were at least my heigh - though I've dated slightly shorter than myself previously.

    But I really think, at this juncture, I as a single person (for longer than I care to admit) am suffering from 2 things:

    1) I don't get out and meet enough people. Yes, I am a homebody, so that's obstacle one making this difficult. Obstacle two being that I am also not exactly rolling in the dough to go out and party and meet people. Boo.

    2) I am not at my most confident, and no one finds that attractive. Not even me. Feeling unlike ones self, or inbetween stages, or just plain self conscious is not an afrodisiac, I have discovered.

    But, I think #2 is kind of a result of the changes in women's lives. I work a lot - not a lot of time for the gym - unfit physically. Working to keep myself paying the rent - not a lot of time to broaden my intellectual horizons, or move forward in life. Experiencing a moderate early mid-life crisis isn't exactly a great place to be mentally when trying to sell your awesomeness to a member of the opposite sex and get your freak on. Or better than just getting your freak on.

    So, that's was a LONG winded and slightly all over the place response to your relationship blog.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady D. I so appreciate this comment. I know you, and I know you turn inward for a lot of the answers and lo and behold, most are there. Thank you for sharing, beautiful one. I think if I asked Marc, for example, about how you could be a better "partner" he would wave a victory flag for #2. And you are attractive, that's just the thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I didn't get through Eat, Pray, Love either.
    2. Being committed to "spiritual unity" is paramount in my marriage. Seeing and being in the holy moments of my marriage encourages me to keep working in it. Marriage requires effort like every valuable thing.
    3. Sexy qualities like "self confidence," and "passion in work" are not established before you can give to others, rather as you give to and work for others you gain confidence and passion for your work. Through giving you are able to see your personal worth.
    4. I don't really like a person unless they admit to struggling with life's trials and the path towards a better version of self. It's not that I want to hear every woe (what a downer)but I take comfort in hearing that a person stuggles but is aiming to come out wiser. These are the "whole" people to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Heidi - You must read Nicholas Kristof's column from Sunday's NY Times on your #3 precisely. Spot on.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/opinion/17kristof.html?em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! I could respond with a dissertation, but will resist and keep this brief.

    True. Loneliness = unhappiness. I wonder if this could be classified as an epidemic as the number of single people (and divorcees) continues to grow year over year. Why? Because they don't make men like they used to...and they don't make women like they used to. We are a selfish generation, a gloried "me-me" species caught up in the church of consumption. The virtue of respect is running extinct these days. I could allude to many examples, but here's just one. I was in a restaurant the other day and a group of thirty-something career ladies dressed to the nines were dropping f-bombs while a bunch of 7 year olds were at the table next to them. Ladies are not ladies these days and men are not gentlemen. How sad.

    The good news is that we don't have to accept these sub-par standards. There is a miniority out there who believe in dignity and respect for the individual...and lead by example with a healthy dose of self-confidence. People who accept themselves for who they are and the lives they have are not afraid to get involved. For it is true, it is in giving that we receive. Now if you excuse me, I'm off to a Haiti fundraiser...hoping to meet spirited people who know life is so much more than what we weigh, who we date or the bills we pay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some of the smartest friends, I swear. Love these comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! I enjoyed that column. I agree with the author's comment that there are primal urges to help others. When I hear folks speaking critically about helping the less fortunate if feel sick inside. I think those that demonstrate virtue and give their time to help others are sexy (beautiful)people! Generous people should procreate and make more sexy giving people just like them. The world needs more people with SOUL.

    ReplyDelete