Monday, January 4, 2010

10


Will there ever be a decade quite like this one? The aughts were naturally the most eventful so far, riddled with sorrow and joy and triumph. Some things I'll never forget, in absolutely no particular order:

1. My dad died. Mentally first, then physically. I asked my mom if she thought he would be proud of me for making my career switch. Turns out he was proud of me no matter what.
2. I graduated college, and began my master's degree. Graduated college? Really? That seems untouchable now. Impossible that I slept in bunk beds and had boys climb in my window on the first floor of Andreen.
3. I met, moved in with AND got married to my best friend. He gives me the credit for giving him the courage to pursue me. Everyday I'm reminded of the reasons we chose each other.
4. I moved away from home and back home. Sweet home.**
5. We bought our first house. We thought we wanted a yard, a basement and our own walls but lo and behold we're in love with Wabash.
6. I love what I do. It's tiring in ways I never imagined, and pays a hell of a lot less. . . but I love it. I can't say that I could do it without my husband's support. Or rather I could, but it would require more sacrifice (i.e. living at home, sharing an apartment, letting go of my car).
7. I found friendship with my mom. As those "in the club" know, amazing transitions happen in relationships after death. It isn't without my dad's passing that I would have this closeness with Ruthie. We were a family of three and stay a family of three, as I often say.

I plan to write a post on each of these, and uncover more too. I encourage you to reflect on the past decade. If you lament being single, lackluster in a job, overweight (me! me!) it is helpful to see what greatness you have achieved. I promise you that if you can't make a list on your own, I can do it for you. Consider it a challenge.

** Marc took the above photo from the top of the John Hancock building, almost exactly one year ago today.

1 comment:

  1. a) I love everything about this post, and you have inspired ME to blog again.
    b) that photo is pretty rad. your husband can wield a camera with the best of 'em.
    c) xo

    ReplyDelete