Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Journey



I've got an addiction that I wear, in the open, for all to see. Funny thing is, rare is the person who whispers or yells to me that I need help. Interventions only take place when needles and highballs are involved, it would seem. But, from my vantage point, being fat is a cry for help too. It's just so damn sensitive to talk about. Even now, my fingers aren't moving as fast down the home row.

Many of us have just made resolutions; there are a dearth of fat shows on TV now, not the least of which is MTV's "I Used To Be Fat" which has coincidentally come on twice at the gym while I'm pounding away on the elliptical; and worst of all every woman I know and love seems to feel ashamed or guilty in some regard when looking in the mirror or staring down at the scale.

I'm sick of feeling that way myself.

Marc asked me awhile ago, "Why do you binge?" (As much as I fooled myself thinking it a secret, there's really only one way to get fat.) (Sidenote: I am totally ok with the word fat; I can also use obese if you prefer. . . either way, I own it just fine.)

The answer to that question is a canvas painted exclusively with shame, and remarkably simple. I grew up with food as comfort; food as a way I bonded with my dad, as a treat or a rush and, now that I'm more conscious, as a salve. A salve really for any emotion: stress, boredom, loneliness, happiness, sadness. Sitting in emotions, after all, can seem interminable.

I've lost weight before, though not for the best reasons: boyfriend break-up, death, identity crisis. So it's like a whole new skill to do it now, when I'm happy and focused. Foreign territory and harder to do because you love yourself and know you'll be a better counselor if you're healthy; you'll have the courage to ski if you're healthy.

It's an education, pursuing it because you want to. . . not to lose weight. After all, my ideal body is Queen Latifah. Beautiful Queen Latifah. Meaning tall (though that's everpresent) and strong. Capable.

And wearing J. Crew would be nice too.

I've lost 10 pounds in the past month with that ever-so-simple formula: eat less, move more. It's not simple at all. Each day is speckled with fighting urges, and changing habits. On the block where I work, there is a Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Chipotle, Jimmy Johns and Garrett Popcorn. Some days, just walking by those doors is the ultimate feat. Most days.

And on those days I resist because I love myself, I get a step closer to making the journey one propelled by my own motivation and not the need to please. The self-respect I mentioned in a previous post. Some days I'm hiking sand dunes in the Middle East, and others I'm gliding around on a lazy river, able to close my eyes and savor the warmth and health.

It's hard to write about, hard to talk about, but every journey is better when shared.

9 comments:

  1. This is completely a journey better when shared, and though there may never be a final destination, you have lots of people cheering for you along the way. And it could be tough - because it's one of those selfish-good things. Like, you want to fix it because it makes you better person and because you love yourself, not because you want some crazy superficial look.

    It's empowering, and you yourself are totally empowered to handle this. I'm super proud of you and your courage to talk about it.

    I hope you realize that this is a totally awesome, completely do-able realistic goal. I think Queen Latifah is the perfect role model - she embraces her fabulousity, but man, I bet she is one tough chick too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Ms. Jen. I hope more of us talk about it openly, especially as all shapes and sizes struggle and there's got to be some way to unify the journey, you know? It is doable, but I think with the community support it gets easier for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that you tagged this post "health" and "wellness" (rather than "weight loss") speaks volumes. I have struggled with weight my whole life ... and I hate looking in the mirror.

    I've only recently figured out how to say "no" to people and things in order to make time to exercise. My kids hate that the first thing I do after school/work is a workout DVD. We've had many conversations about being healthy, and that what it all boils down to is being healthy on the inside. I hope to God their young minds are still malleable enough that they will have the healthy body images that I don't.

    Once again, Emily, I admire you in so many ways! It's hard enough to do the diet/exercise thing ... and then to put yourself out there for all to see? 10 lbs over the holidays ... you'll do this thing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, THANK YOU, not just for reading but being such a good example for me. Ugh, it is hard, and with the beautifully cute Nate and Abby running around I admire your tenacity. It feels good to have a sisterhood. I wish I could give you a hug right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great post! So proud of you. Move pass those doors sista! But only if YOU want to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you for reading, honey bun cuzzo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Em,

    Good for you. I'm glad to see that you are doing this for the right reasons. As you know, I have struggled with the mystical hard fat. It leaves me bewildered its resistance to bodily effort. I poke, it yields little. Ye gads!

    Just remember, it's a marathon and not a sprint. There will be moments of weakness, and that's okay. Do not punish yourself for indiscretions because that will only make things harder. This takes time. New habits must be created to take the place of the old.

    You are special, my friend. Never forget that. Kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Addy. Big ups to hard fat (boys). It has it's up sides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been saying that people don’t know how to love . . . themselves or others very well. Today I wrote, “People who respect the capabilities of their intellect and body are engaged in life. Belief in our own possibility is a powerful driving force.” I know that I am not fully formed in so many ways. Meeting my potential is really important to me. Having a positive self-regard and believing I am a POWERFUL enough to destroy the internal and external obstacles restricting my potential IS my daily battle. This week I invented a picture of my POWERFUL alter ego. It was cute and TOUGH! Grrrr. It made me think . . . When do I love myself best? So, I am commanding myself to do and be more of that. Remember when you were a kid and you used to say, “You’re not the boss of me!”? I think we need to look in the mirror and say, “I’m the Boss of you, so you’re gonna do what I say. See?” Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete