Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Holy Book


I picked up the Bible yesterday. We have a cute yellow designer copy leftover from the previous owner of our condo. Kind of like a Best Western, it was in the bedside table. Since starting my graduate degree pursuits, I've maintained that I need to get to know religion if I am to effectively counsel those who believe (i.e. 95 percent of humans). I'm in the minority but more than that, I'm ignorant.

My parents were rebels in a few important ways; one being pulling away from the church and its teachings after being raised Catholic. Right on! Except that leaves me an empty slate. All at once I lament not knowing Job from Deuteronomy. And my ignorance isn't just biblical, it's all encompassing toward religion. I went to church and temple growing up but those are mere freckles on my holy past.

I'm intrigued. Marc was also raised Catholic and rebelled so he's a good default for, "I know this is biblical honey, but tell me the origins." I'm impressed he retained so much from his time at St. Monica's in Kalamazoo. I don't even remember the 50 state capitols (ok, I probably do, but don't test me). His knowledge comes in handy, but my curiosity has made me crack the binding on the Book.

A couple chapters into Genesis and I've got more questions than answers. I suppose that is to be expected. What I think is really cool about attending a religious service surrounding the Book is it's a chance to come together with a common focus. Like a big book club. Talk about the stories and interpret in real life. That's what our gaggle did with "The Help" last month. We laughed, explored and exclaimed and that's a lot of how I might like to go about the house of worship experience.

My interest of late comes from the number of offers I've received from volunteers and clients to attend their church service, not as a process of recruitment per se, rather to invite me into a community. I dig that, and I'm up for it. All in the name of research and expelling ignorance, as we all need to do in one way or another.

4 comments:

  1. I don't want to be afraid to comment on the subject of religion
    Lately I have thought a lot about the term “religion.” Webster says religion is a “system of beliefs and practices.” But I find the practices of my church are “systems”, which support and encourage my beliefs. Many Christian churches strongly hold to Biblical teachings. Their members agree that the Bible is God’s Word, written by men who were inspired by the Holy Spirit. Others think that the books are literature; others contend that the Bible is “living” and flexible able to change and reflect contemporary values.
    The Jewish Deuterocanonicals and the Old Testament point toward a Messiah, the Savior of God’s people. A pure and holy God can not be with sinful evil people. (How can we the greatest being of his creation be sinful? He gave us free will.)
    The Christian Bible which includes the New Testament testifies to that Savior’s incarnation, death, and resurrection, and speaks to the mission of spreading the Good News of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ’s redeeming sacrifice.
    The Bible is, in the end, a document about the struggle for the souls of humanity. We are spirits having a human experience. The human experience distracts from the spiritual battle people are caught in- the battle of God’s Kingdom vs Satan’s Kingdom. Christians trust that Satan’s kingdom is doomed. However, in his loss and descent he wishes to make things painful for God by capturing as many souls as he can.
    While some churches contend that good virtuous works will ensure our entrance into God’s kingdom, God knows that in our humanity we are incapable of works good and consistent enough to gain entrance in heaven. Heaven’s gates open not because of our good actions, but because of God’s love for us. He placed the burden of sins debt upon his only son the God/Man Jesus who was human and sinless. He allowed him to suffer and die, but not before laying the foundation for spreading the news of God’s love, a plan of escape from damnation. Our spiritual debts are paid. Christians are joyful and want to share this joy.
    Some move through life guided by their feelings. Some would contend that many people have a natural knowledge of God. Another school of thought is that God knowing humanities intellectual and spiritual limitations provided the Bible so people would gain understanding and faith through his word. Many believing Christian’s will tell you that faith is something that they cannot control, but they know it needs to be nourished. Their faith is felt in the marrow of their being when the Word is spoken in truth and purity. Some after-all corrupt the Bible’s message (don’t drink the kool-aid if ya know what I mean).
    I do think it is valuable to know the Bible also because there are so many allusions made towards its contents in literature and in life in general. Did you see the movie 23? The 23rd Psalm is referenced. Babette’s Feast is an allusion of the trinity.
    I hope you found this interesting, at least.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom asked me today, "Who is ArtGardener?" After chatting you up she said that while we can all disagree and come from different places, she appreciates how thoughtful, in-depth and intelligent your comment was. You have fans even in your comments Ms. Heidi! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw thanks! I try to be thoughtful. You certainly get me thinking. Hey I stumbled upon this site http://www.ideachampions.com You might find some of the ideas shared there useful in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I absolutely do. These are the most important conversations we can have...even if we can't share meaning, we can try to share our own.

    http://bristlingbehindthecurtain.blogspot.com/2010/01/old-faithful.html

    ReplyDelete