Monday, May 23, 2011

Blooms



Pictured: My wedding bouquet

I live my life in pops of color. Pop of yellow, dash of blue, poof of purple.

It's just more fun that way.

I looked down at my attire the other day, walking to work and marveled at the rainbow, right down to my toenails. So long, monotone. I'm drawn to you, coral, and you, lemon. Especially you, lavender.

After reading a recent article in Psychology Today about people with two careers (aka "The Slashers" as in Carpenter/Surgeon. . . mind the punctuation here), I wondered what my slash might separate/bring together.

I am an aspiring counselor. My mind lives in color because of the cacophony of clients and curiosities that enter my office, causing me to be emotionally and mentally dextrous. It's a palette of grays and blues but colorful nonetheless.

But I want to produce color. And I want to do it with flowers. Of late, I've been drawn to the buckets at Jewel and Dominick's, decidedly uninspiring but after grabbing a couple bushels I scurry home and turn them into something lovely.

I like snipping the stems, again and again, to make sure water uptake keeps things standing up.

I love the smell, and knowing the difference between a rose and a daisy just from the fragrance.

I enjoy seeing an arrangement of mine out of the corner of my eye and staring, imagining the fields (greenhouses?) they came from, or at least believing they once felt fresh air. It's all a marvel.

So I'm committed to a new "slash". One where I get to touch all the natural colors that inspire our lives and our homes. Something like Counselor/Floral Designer. Something vibrant and alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment